This report has been reviewed in draft form by individuals chosen for their diverse perspectives and technical expertise, in accordance with procedures approved by the Report Review Committee of the National Research Council. The purpose of this independent review is to provide candid and critical comments that will assist the National Research Council in making its published report as sound as possible and will ensure that this report meets institutional standards for objectivity, evidence, and responsiveness to the study charge. The review comments and draft manuscript remain confidential to protect the integrity of the deliberative process. We thank the following individuals for their participation in the review of this report:
- Richard Clapp, University of Massachusetts Lowell, Lowell
- Dennis Deapen, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
- Roger Kasperson, Clark University (retired), Worcester, Massachusetts
- David Pawel, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Roy Shore, Radiation Effects Research Foundation, Hiroshima, Japan
- Jane Simmonds, Health Protection Agency of the United Kingdom (retired), Oxon
Although the reviewers listed above provided many constructive comments and suggestions, they were not asked to endorse the contents of this report, nor did they see the final draft of the report before its release. The review of this report was overseen by Lynn Goldman, George Washington University, and Hedvig Hricak, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Appointed by the National Research Council, Drs. Goldman and Hricak were responsible for making certain that an independent examination of this report was carried out in accordance with institutional procedures and that all review comments were considered carefully. Responsibility for the final content of this report rests entirely with the authoring committee and the institution.