Selected Provisions of Annex III of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action: Civil Nuclear Cooperation (2015)
Individual American scientists have indicated to the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine their interest in participation in the provisions of Annex III, set forth below, should the U.S. and Iranian governments decide to move forward with implementation of Annex III. Given the uncertainty concerning implementation of Annex III, the National Academies have not begun the process of analysis and consultations about the priority that should be given to these or any other provisions of Annex III.
Component C: Research and Development Practices
- Accelerator-based nuclear physics and nuclear atmospheric research; stable isotope production at the Fordow facility, recognizing that Russia has the lead in transitioning to stable isotope production.
- Plasma physics and nuclear fusion.
- Research reactor applications at the modernized Arak reactor, including (a) training, (b) radio-isotope production and utilization, (c) nuclear desalination, (d) neutron transmutation doping, (e) neutron activation analysis, (f) neutron capture therapy, and (g) neutron imaging and materials characterization using neutron beams.
- Exploration of cooperation in design, manufacture, and assembly of in-core measuring instrumentation and technologies; nuclear measurement and control systems; fusion technology and plasma
- physics and contributions to the International Thermonculear Experimental Reactor (ITER); neutrino astronomy; design manufacturing and supply of different types of accelerators and related equipment; and data acquisition and processing software and interface equipment.
Component D: Nuclear Safety, Safeguards, and Security
- Training on best practices for safe reactor operations, emergency preparedness, severe accident management, and development of a nuclear safety culture.
Component G: Other Projects
- Design of a nuclear desalination infrastructure.
- Development of laser technologies for medical applications (e.g., eye surgery).
Other Aspects of Possible Interest
- Cooperation through International Science and Technology Centers (Component A).
- Cooperation between hospitals in use of imaging and radiotherapy equipment for treatment of individual patients (Component E).
- Cooperation in occupational and patient radio-dosimetry procedures (Component E).