Conduct a workshop that will
- Focus on the business models used to stand-up and operate, on a long-term basis, the 8 DoD institutes;
- Evaluate ‘lessons-learned’ in developing and implementing the public–private partnerships adopted in those institutes and what changes may be needed;
- Evaluate the potential values and costs that would accrue to DoD from further long-term engagement with the institutes under various scenarios and funding structures;
- Receive input regarding similar public–private partnerships developed in other countries; and
- Identify topics to be addressed in a follow-on Phase II study.
The output of this suggested fast track project will be:
- A workshop proceedings prepared by a designated rapporteur; and
- A short report that:
- Drawing from those proceedings, provides the report committee’s findings and options for DoD to consider in developing its long-term role with existing and potential future institutes, and
- Recommends topics to be included in a follow-on Phase II study.