undertaking. However, it would have a major payoff in saving design time, and the very high cost of experimental hardware and facilities. It would also provide “agility” to the ship design process, as rapid means for assessing the merits and limitations of various options will be at hand.
1. Lighthill, M.J., “On Sound Generated Aerodynamically, I, General Theory.” Proc. R. Soc., London, Ser. A 211, 564–587 ( 1952).
2. Powell, A., “Theory of Vortex Sound.” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 36, 177–195 ( 1964).
3. Ffowcs Williams, J.E., “Sound Radiation from Turbulent Boundary Layers Formed on Compliant Surfaces.” J. Fluid Mech. 22, 347–358 ( 1965).
4. Curle, N., “The Influence of Solid Boundaries upon Aerodynamic Sound.” Proc. R. Soc. London, Ser. A.231, 505–514 ( 1955).
5. Ffowcs Williams, J.E., “Modern Methods in Analytical Acoustics, Chapter 11”. Springer Verlag, ( 1994).
6. Blake, W.K., “Mechanics of Flow-Induced Sound and Vibration”. Academic Press, ( 1986).
7. Sevik, M., “The Response of Propulsors to Turbulence”. Seventh Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics”. Office of Naval Research, DR.-148, 293–313 ( 1968).
8. Jiang, C.W., Chang, M.S., Liu, Y.N., “The Effect of Turbulence Ingestion on Propeller Broadband Thrust. ” David Taylor Model Basin, Report Number DTRC/SHD-1355–02, ( 1991).
9. Martinez, R., “Asymptotic Theory of Broadband Rotor Thrust; Parts I and II”. Cambridge Acoustical Associates, Inc. ( 1995).
10. Kim, S.K., “Radiation of Sound by a Point-Excited Free-Flooded Cylindrical Shell of Finite Length”. David Taylor Model Basin, ( 1995).
11. Howe, M.S., “Production of Structural and Acoustic Waves by Dipole Sources Adjacent to an Elastic Plate with a Pressure-Release Coating”. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 91 (3), ( 1992)
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
500 Fifth St. N.W. | Washington, D.C. 20001
Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
"Hydroacoustic Considerations in Marine Propulsor Design."
Twenty-First Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics.
Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 1997.
Please select a format: