- DoD should explore ways to increase communication with the VA, particularly as it relates to the ongoing treatment of patients.
- DoD should examine the provider education materials and programs developed by the VA to determine if they might serve as models for DoD approaches.
- Education is needed to emphasize that conditions related to stress are not necessarily psychiatric conditions.
- Education should emphasize that depression is common and treatable, and that patients with depression can continue to function.
- CCEP information should be used to develop case studies which will help educate providers about Persian Gulf health problems.
- DoD educational efforts should also address the concerns of Persian Gulf-deployed individuals and their families.