The Institute of Medicine (IOM) of the National Academies of Science held a symposium, in memory of Dr. John R. La Montagne on April 4-5, 2005, to discuss the current state of the art of research on pandemic influenza and to identify gaps in research. The symposium serves as a first step of discussion towards a combined and coordinated research effort among Department of Health and Human Services agencies, other governmental agencies, international partners and the private sector. The statement of task that guided the Symposium agenda included these specific questions:
1) What is the current state of the science on pandemic influenza research?
2) What are the pressing unmet scientific questions and technical issues?
3) What administrative, logistic or legal impediments exist that block progress towards the development of interventions to respond to pandemic influenza?
4) How can collaboration among Global health Security Action Group nations be strengthened to address unmet scientific questions and technical issues related to research on pandemic influenza?
5) What do experts believe are the most important next steps to take to advance research on pandemic influenza?
The Proceedings of the John La Montagne Memorial Symposium on Pandemic Influenza Research Gaps represents a slightly edited transcript of the plenary presentations, rapporteur presentations, plenary discussion and presentation slides. This document contains the Symposium agenda, short biographies of plenary speakers, and provides a list of individuals who attended the symposium.
Table of Contents
|2 Plenary Speakers, Day 1||7-52|
|3 Morning Plenary Discussion, Day 1||53-58|
|4 Working Groups , Day 1||59-98|
|5 Afternoon Discussion: Reaction to Rapporteurs, Day 1||99-102|
|6 Plenary Speakers, Day 2||103-132|
|7 Morning Plenary Discussion, Day 2||133-136|
|8 Working Groups, Day 2||137-164|
|9 Preparation for Pandemic Infuenza: Filling the Gaps in Knowledge and Understanding||165-178|
|Appendix A: Speaker Biographies||179-182|
|Appendix B: Pandemic Flu Workshop Participants||183-202|
The National Academies Press and the Transportation Research Board have partnered with Copyright Clearance Center to offer a variety of options for reusing our content. You may request permission to:
For most Academic and Educational uses no royalties will be charged although you are required to obtain a license and comply with the license terms and conditions.
For information on how to request permission to translate our work and for any other rights related query please click here.
For questions about using the Copyright.com service, please contact:
Copyright Clearance Center
22 Rosewood Drive
Danvers, MA 01923
Tel (toll free): 855/239-3415 (select option 1)
Loading stats for John R. La Montagne Memorial Symposium on Pandemic Influenza Research: Meeting Proceedings...