The committee will undertake an assessment of the proposed DUSEL program, including:
• An assessment of the major physics questions that could be addressed with the proposed DUSEL and associated physics experiments,
• An assessment of the impact of the DUSEL infrastructure on research in fields other than physics,
• An assessment of the impact of the proposed program on the stewardship of the research communities involved,
• An assessment of the need to develop such a program in the United States, in the context of similar science programs in other regions of the world, and
• An assessment of broader impacts of such an activity, including but not limited to education and outreach to the public.