The committee commissioned six papers to synthesize the research and evaluation studies that relate to our charge:*
- Formative Assessment for STEM Learning Ecosystems: Biographical Approaches as a Resource for Research and Practice by Brigid Barron
- Citizen Science and Youth Education by Rick Bonney, Tina B. Phillips, Jody Enck, Jennifer Shirk, and Nancy Trautmann
- Evidence & Impact: Museum-Managed STEM Programs in Out-of-School Settings by Bernadette Chi, Rena Dorph, and Leah Reisman
- Children Doing Science: Essential Idiosyncrasy and the Challenges of Assessment by David Hammer and Jennifer Radoff
- Broadening Access to STEM Learning Through Out-of-School Learning Environments by Laura Huerta Migus
- Making and Tinkering: A Review of the Literature by Shirin Vossoughi and Bronwyn Bevan
*The background papers are available at http://sites.nationalacademies.org/DBASSE/BOSE/CurrentProjects/DBASSE_086842 [May 2015].