Sec. 805. Assessment of Resources.
(a) 5-Year Plan
(1) ESTABLISHMENT—The Administrator of the Energy Information Administration (referred to in this section as the ‘Administrator’) shall establish a 5-year plan to enhance the quality and scope of the data collection necessary to ensure the scope, accuracy, and timeliness of the information needed for efficient functioning of energy markets and related financial operations.
(2) REQUIREMENT—In establishing the plan under paragraph (1), the Administrator shall pay particular attention to—
(A) data series terminated because of budget constraints;
(B) data on demand response;
(C) timely data series of State-level information;
(D) improvements in the area of oil and gas data;
(E) improvements in data on solid byproducts from coal-based energy-producing facilities; and
(F) the ability to meet applicable deadlines under Federal law (including regulations) to provide data required by Congress.
(b) Submission to Congress—The Administrator shall submit to Congress the plan established under subsection (a), including a description of any
improvements needed to enhance the ability of the Administrator to collect and process energy information in a manner consistent with the needs of energy markets.
(1) IN GENERAL—The Administrator shall--
(A) establish guidelines to ensure the quality, comparability, and scope of State energy data, including data on energy production and consumption by product and sector and renewable and alternative sources, required to provide a comprehensive, accurate energy profile at the State level;
(B) share company-level data collected at the State level with each State involved, in a manner consistent with the legal authorities, confidentiality protections, and stated uses in effect at the time the data were collected, subject to the condition that the State shall agree to reasonable requirements for use of the data, as the Administrator may require;
(C) assess any existing gaps in data obtained and compiled by the Energy Information Administration; and
(D) evaluate the most cost-effective ways to address any data quality and quantity issues in conjunction with State officials.
(2) CONSULTATION—The Administrator shall consult with State officials and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on a regular basis in--
(A) establishing guidelines and determining the scope of State-level data under paragraph (1); and
(B) exploring ways to address data needs and serve data uses.
(d) Assessment of State Data Needs—Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator shall submit to Congress an assessment of State-level data needs, including a plan to address the needs.
(e) Authorization of Appropriations—In addition to any other amounts made available to the Administrator, there are authorized to be appropriated to the Administrator to carry out this section--
(1) $10,000,000 for fiscal year 2008;
(2) $10,000,000 for fiscal year 2009;
(3) $10,000,000 for fiscal year 2010;
(4) $15,000,000 for fiscal year 2011;
(5) $20,000,000 for fiscal year 2012; and
(6) such sums as are necessary for subsequent fiscal years.