Several key questions, listed below, were identified by the sponsor as key to the discussion. They were provided to all workshop participants and discussed during the workshop’s final session.
- What is the current progress in the conceptualization, development, and adoption of ML in the cyberattack and cybersecurity processes, such as in components of the cyber kill chain and cybersecurity operations.
- What are the key cybersecurity problems that can be solved using ML? What AI and ML techniques are well suited for cybersecurity? What are areas of cybersecurity that ML show great promise for resolving? What are areas of cybersecurity that will prove challenging to address using ML?
- What is the biggest “ask” the cybersecurity community could make of the ML community?
- What are the key challenges and barriers to ML adoption for cybersecurity by businesses and governments?
- What countries or companies are investing in the application of ML to their cybersecurity processes, and what are these company or country partnerships?
- How will the proliferation and adoption of ML change the potential consequences (including physical, economic, or psychological impacts) of cyberattacks? Does the answer assume significant qualitative or quantitative improvement in global cyber defenses? If these improvements do not materialize, how would the answer change?
- Are there other areas of AI research, beyond ML, that are significant from a cyber threat or cybersecurity perspective?