Below is the uncorrected machine-read text of this chapter, intended to provide our own search engines and external engines with highly rich, chapter-representative searchable text of each book. Because it is UNCORRECTED material, please consider the following text as a useful but insufficient proxy for the authoritative book pages.
L-1 A P P E N D I X L Sample Mass Notification System Requirements The following business requirements were included in a request for proposal for a mass notification system. These requirements are beneficial to ensuring that communication is accessible, but they may not be appropriate for all jurisdictions or organizations. The proposed mass notification system encompasses the following elements: â¢ Has been established and specifically designed to facilitate public mass notification distribution â¢ Offers tiered administration and security levels to optimize, manage, and control system use â¢ Allows the public to register phone numbers, SMS addresses, emails, and fax numbers via a website â¢ Is capable of accepting, via secured web services, batch upload(s) of multiple call lists and unique message(s) to be delivered per call list â¢ Allows the public to designate, per phone number, special functionality (TTY/TDD, fax, etc.) if desired, select order and/or method of notification preference, and select categories (as defined by the city) of events and occurrences to be notified about â¢ Is capable of disseminating messages via phone (landline and cell), SMS messaging, email, and fax â¢ Provides a system that complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act in all respects, and in particular a system that has services for individuals who are deaf or have a speech disability that is functionally equivalent to the services to be received by individuals who are not deaf or who do not have a speech disability â¢ Is capable of disseminating messages in the seven preferred ballot languages: English, Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese dialects), Japanese, Korean, Tagalog, and Vietnamese â¢ Contains accurate, up-to-date, and jurisdiction-wide constituent phone and email data â¢ Is capable of accepting and using jurisdiction-provided geographical map files in native ESRI file format â¢ Offers the GIS functionality of user-drawn/âhand-drawnâ geographic selection of specific areas to generate call lists from and transmit notification messages
L-2 Airport Emergency Communications for People with Disabilities and Others with Access and Functional Needs â¢ Is available no less than 99.5% of the time (with the remaining 0.5% allowed for planned system maintenance) â¢ Can, at a minimum, deliver a 30-second message (not including call overhead time such as queuing, dialing, call release, etc.) to 100,000 citizen phone numbers within 60 minutes â¢ Is able to provide online reports documenting notification results as well as other reports, such as monthly usage â¢ Is able to create and store numerous (more than 100) pre-canned scenarios â¢ Is able to send multiple notifications simultaneously â¢ Allows for an unlimited number of groups and subgroups to be created â¢ Is able to deliver live voice messages or text-to-speech â¢ Is able to access, launch, and use systems from any computer with an Internet connection or phone connection to record or schedule calls â¢ Is capable of generating call lists via polygon-generated geographical map selection â¢ Is capable of geo-coding AT&T and Verizon (provider may be different) E911 phone data to jurisdiction-wide geographical maps â¢ Is capable of refreshing AT&T and Verizon (provider may be different) E911 phone data for production use on a monthly basis â¢ Is designed and managed with sufficient security, backup, and redundancy